Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Twins Birth Story!

Well since I FINALLY have a minute.....


THE TWINS ARE HERE!

Photobucket


Yep our little girls were born on November 30,2009. Baby A- (Arianna) was 5lbs 4oz 19 1/4 inches she was born at 2:21pm. Baby B- (Araceli) was 5lbs 3oz 19 inches she was born at 2:22pm.

So here is how it all happened...

On Monday (11/30) I had my Dr.'s appt and Non stress test at 8:30am. I had been having regular contractions since Sat. night but they were not painful and only lasting 30sec. So I assumed they were braxton hicks. The girls did great on the non stress test and the Dr. came in to talk to me. I told her about the contractions and she said "They sound like nothing to worry about but I'll check you anyway". She checked my cervix and had a shocked look. I asked what I was and she said 4cm but only 5% effaced. We were told to head over to the hospital to be on the safe side since Baby A was a footling breech again and if my water broke her cord or foot could come out. Jose dropped me off and went home to drop off the the car and get my hospital bag. In triage my contractions were showing up in the 30-40's (with Nevy they were over 160!). So they were not very painful just a little annoying. They would come every 5,8 or 10 mins. So not regular at all. My Dr. came down (ya she was on call that day!) and said she was keeping me b/c I was over 4cm but since I had just ate breakfast we had to wait 6hrs for the c-section. So it was planned for after 3pm. Jose arrived and I was sent upstairs to a recovery room were I would be monitored before and after the c-section. The Dr. decided to check me again at about 11am. I was 5cm and still 5% effaced. So I was in labor though I never had hard contractions. The next few hours were a blur of Dr.'s and nursing coming in and asking us to sign things or stupid questions that kept being asked over and over. At about 1:30pm I had to pee and got up to do so. I noticed some blood and told the nurse. She said it's probably from everyone checking you so often. I layed back in bed and about 10 mins later I felt pressure. I told the nurse and since my Dr. was right down the hall she went to get her. I was checked and was 6cm 100% effaced! Thats when things went really fast! The dr. said we had to deliver now b/c these kids were coming fast (still no real contractions! Lucky me right? Had Nevy's labor been that easy I would never of needed a c-section!). Next I know I'm being taken to the OR. I got a resident to do my Epidural and of course he took 3 tries to get it! Finally all numb I was layed down and they started. Jose was brought in 5mins later. About 20 mins into the c-section the twins were born. They both screamed (Ari was very loud and wouldn't stop crying lol). I didn't get to see them b/c the NICU staff had to take them but after a few mins Jose got to go see them. The NICU Dr. came in and told me their weights and that they were doing great. About 15mins later Jose brought both of them to me. Ari was still crying and kept on crying lol. The Dr. finished up and we all went to the recovery room.

In recovery the nurse kept trying to talk me into giving them formula but all I wanted to do was breastfeed them both but Celi had a hard time latching and both their sugar levels went below 55. So I HAD to give them a bottle. After 20mins they checked both girls again and Celi was up to 67 and Ari was only up to 36. So the called the NICU and they came up to take Ari. I was really upset but I knew and prepared myself for an NICU stay since I found out we were having twins. It wasn't so bad since Celi was still with us. I got to breastfeed Celi for 15 mins and then I had to give her formula to make sure her sugar stayed up. The nurse came in and wanted to do another sugar check. I told her she didn't finish eating the formula yet and if she could come back when she was done ( I knew from Nevy's birth that the glucose level peaks 20mins after a feeding and that if she checked before she was done it would be low since she was buring calories to suck) well sure enough her level was below 55. I was so mad at that nurse b/c she KNEW it would be low if the baby wasn't done eating and she was to much of a b**ch to just come back and check later. So off to The NICU Celi went which is when I really broke down b/c both girls were gone.

Celi never had another low sugar level. Her level down in the NICU about 15mins after that feeding in recovery was way over 55! So really Celi never had sugar issues. I was still really numb and had to stay in recovery until I could feel my feet. That took 4hrs instead of 2hrs b/c I was given some extra Epidural right at the end b/c I was starting to get feeling again. I had a pain block done (AWESOME! If you have the option get one!) It's were they use a needle (guided by ulrasound) to inject pain meds into the layers of your uterus and skin. It's done while your still numb so you dont feel a thing. It lasts 24 hrs and works great. I was sent to my room and told I could walk after 8-12 hrs depending on my pain. By 4am I was ready to get up (with Nevy I stayed in bed for 3 days and paid for it. The more you move after a c-section the better you will feel). I wanted to go down the NICU to see the babies right away. So Jose took me at 5:30am. Ari was doing really good her sugar levels were stable and she had a sugar IV in. Celi on the other had had some bloating which they ran tests and x-rays on. They thought she "may" have an infection so to be on the safe side they stopped her oral feeding and gave her an IV and a tube (down the nose) feedings until the blood test came back. It was neg. so they took the tube out and left the IV in until her tummy could tolerate full feedings again. I guess it was from the NICU pushing her to eat so much to keep her suagrs up she got bloated.

That next moring at 9am Ari's IV was removed and the 24hr count down began(they have to go 24hrs without any low suagrs readings to leave the NICU). At 3pm Celi's was removed. We spent the day in the NICU with the girls and family visiting. Nevy got go to the lobby so I could see her and so could Jose. We showed her pics of the babies and then took my mom and grandparents up to the NICU to see the twins while Jose spent time with Nevy. On Wed. morning we went down and were told the girls could come up after the Dr. gave them the ok. At 12pm the girls were both released and got to come to my room. It was soooo nice having them with us again. They eat so well! They were putting away whole 2oz bottles which some full term babies can't even do!

We spent the next two days getting use to having twins (ha! right lol). We came home on Friday (Dec. 4th). We have been home a little over 24hrs and now and I have to say its been nuts! Nevy couldn't wait to see the babies. I pulled the cover off Celi's carseat and Nevy pokes her in the nose and said "dolly". Then Celi started to cry and Nevy realized she was real and looked and me and screamed "Baby! Mommy baby!". It was to cute. She wanted to hold them right away. So I sat her on the bed and gave her both girls on my body pillow. She was so happy! She's been such a good big sister. All she wants to do it kiss them, hold them and help Daddy hold the bottles. She just loves them to death.

They are doing very well. Celi is my pro breastfeeder. I can get her on for 30mins and she still kills 1-1.5oz of formula. Jose went to get me a breatspump today (we tried to get one yesterday but they were closed) and I've been pumping like crazy. Right now I almost make enough to feed both of them. I am really surprised my milk came on the 2nd day this time. With Nevy it didn't come in until 6days after she was born! Since the girls are preemies they dont suck very well and have a hard time latching though Celi does pretty good. I'm hoping to get them off formula soon and either bottle feed breatmilk until they get better at breastfeeding or just keep pumping and using a bottle. Celi acts a little closer to term then Ari. She can eat for longer, eats more and is awake more often but they will both be doing well in a few weeks. We have to feed them every 3hrs b/c they are preemies the Dr. doesnt want them going any longer. So yeah very sleepless nights! Jose is off work the next 2 weeks and I'm so happy he is b/c I really need the help! :)

Well thats it!( Yes I know this was a novel but not only is this blog for everyone to enjoy its my way of keeping a journal for the kids. So I try not to miss a detail). It's going to be hard but I know it will sooooo be worth all the effort in the end. I love my 3 little princesses with all my heart and Jose and I could not be happier with them!

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment